[Icecast] Overriding Butt broadcaster

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Tue May 10 22:44:00 UTC 2016

Good evening,

On Tue, 2016-05-10 at 23:16 +0100, Hannah Carroll wrote:
> Hello,
> This isn't a major issue I just want to know for future if there is a
> way of overridding butt broadcaster.
> The other day one of my DJ's left there butt connected and we couldn't
> get the next Dj to connect.
> When we restarted the sever and the stream it still connected to the
> butt that wasn't stopped.

You can always kick a specific source (it's in the admin panel). There
is no need to restart the service for that.

What likely happened here is that butt was configured to re-connect in
case of connection breakdown.

This is less a technical problem than a problem of daily practise. DJs
should know what they're doing. ;)

What can help is using some kind of more advanced setup. Like every DJ
has their own set of credentials and you block them temporary or the
system is only allowing DJs to connect within their slot.
Those things should likely be used in a big station's setup to ensure
smooth operation. However they require some more infrastructure.

If you don't have such a deployment you can still try to kick the DJ and
connect faster than the client is reconnecting (most wait a few seconds
so the problem can go away). If that doesn't help you can temporary
change credentials. But those are of cause more hacks in case the above
can not be done for some reason.

Hope I helped you.

Have a nice day!

--