[Icecast] Unicast or Multicast?

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Wed May 4 08:25:19 UTC 2016

Good morning,

On Wed, 2016-05-04 at 00:15 +0200, Fran Delgado wrote:
> Hi, there!
> I have a doubt about if this server supports unicast, multicast or
> both. I was looking for information in the web but I couldn't found
> anything. Anyone can help me?

Icecast2 is a streaming solution that works using HTTP[0]. (HTTPS is
also supported using both methods[1].) HTTP uses TCP[2][3] as transport.
As TCP is a protocol that connects exactly two peers it's implemented
using unicast.
Multicast in contrast is used when there are a group of nodes interested
in the same data. This is normally implemented using UDP in case of IP.
However multicast support is very limited on the 'open internet'. It
imposes requirements on the nodes in between to route the traffic
according to group membership. This is a very high requirement on
'common ground' (such as the internet).

Have a nice day. Hope I helped you. And have a nice semester!

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP
[1] RFC2817, RFC2818
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol
[3] RFC 793