[Icecast] ezstream question

Paul Martin pm at nowster.me.uk
Wed Mar 2 11:37:29 PST 2016

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 01:54:26PM -0500, Steve Matzura wrote:

> It will, but there's a caveat. I've found that, with OTR programming,
> especially if it's of good quality, not re-re-re-re-re-recorded off
> the radio and copied a million times, the dialog is softer than the
> music. This means that the music will be nice and loud, but the dialog
> might not. If you can get SOX to work, I think it's your best bet.

I've found that with ReplayGain too.

BBC used to (and may still) recommend that music peaks between 3 and 4
on their meters and speech should be about 5 and mustn't exceed 6.

BBC-style Peak Programme Meters [PPM] have simple markings of 1 to 7.

0 dBu reference level was about PPM4 and the divisions were (to a first
approximation) 4 dB apart.