[Icecast] ezstream question

Paul Martin pm at nowster.me.uk
Wed Mar 2 19:37:29 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 01:54:26PM -0500, Steve Matzura wrote:

> It will, but there's a caveat. I've found that, with OTR programming,
> especially if it's of good quality, not re-re-re-re-re-recorded off
> the radio and copied a million times, the dialog is softer than the
> music. This means that the music will be nice and loud, but the dialog
> might not. If you can get SOX to work, I think it's your best bet.

I've found that with ReplayGain too.

BBC used to (and may still) recommend that music peaks between 3 and 4
on their meters and speech should be about 5 and mustn't exceed 6.

BBC-style Peak Programme Meters [PPM] have simple markings of 1 to 7.

0 dBu reference level was about PPM4 and the divisions were (to a first
approximation) 4 dB apart.

>From that you can see that the BBC advice (at least) would suggest
speech be about 6 dB louder than music on the meters to have the same
perceived loudness. (You knew I'd get there in the end...)

(For the benefit of those on the other side of the Atlantic, 0 VU is
usually +4 dBu, but the response characteristic of a VU meter is
different to that of a PPM.)

--
Paul Martin <pm at nowster.me.uk>