[Icecast] Forcing a sspecific stream type

kloschi kloschi at subsignal.org
Sun Oct 11 09:46:56 UTC 2015

Am 10.10.2015 21:43, schrieb Steve Matzura:
> Is it possible to force Icecast to stream in a specific stream type,
> such as OGG, regardless of the source or input?

This is impossible as Icecast just passes the source stream through.

One already mentioned possibility to achieve your goal would be
liquidsoap. The other one - I am using since a very long time reliably
- is streamTranscoder v3 from former oddsock.org.

Sadly oddsock has been shut down a couple of years ago, but the software
is still available, e.g. here:
http://dl.audioaddictz.com/Broadcast_Tools/

StreamTranscoder v3 can be configured to listen to specific mount
points,
recode the stream on the fly and serve it to another icecast mount
point.

I am using hq ogg streams as "master" source (160kb/s or 192kb/s) and
recode those to lower .ogg bitrates as well as mp3 in various bitrates.
It works very well and stable on my Debian and Ubuntu based icecast
servers.

hth,
.kloschi

--
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to
stop reading them. "

              -- Ray Bradbury