[Icecast] Checking for file /7.html

Marvin Scholz epirat07 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 08:20:51 UTC 2015

On 14 May 2015, at 10:04, Nanda Kishor Dasa wrote:

> On 14/05/2015 00:00, Yahav Shasha wrote:
>> Its more likely to be some shoutcast player or any kind of script
>> that
>> request the file, sources don't usually request the status file. Try
>> looking for the refer at the access log (if icecast logs 404 requests
>> that is) to determinate the request origin, shouldn't be an hassle.
>
> Makes sense. If the Icecast log would also log the IP address it would
> be easier to say if this is our own player or someone elses.

Icecast does log the IP address in the access.log (look out for request
that caused 404)

> Of course I could just ignore it, but it's so prominent in the error
> log
> that it is sort of irritating.

Well it is not really an error, it just means that the file is not
found, nothing more. It is not expected to be there.

> It might also be that some service we use assume we're using ShoutCast
> and want to extract "now playing" title and artist information. So
> maybe
> it would even make "sense" to provide the 7.html file in the expected
> format?

It does not. New Icecast versions have the JSON version exactly for this
purpose and the 7.html is a horribly broken format, which is really
crap. What services could that be that try to access that file? Maybe
you can check this in access log as there is the IP of the client logged
that tried to access the file.