[Icecast] Master/Relay, SSL and some Q's on setup...

Robert icecast at robertweidlich.de
Thu Mar 12 23:28:23 UTC 2015

Hello,

Am 12.03.2015 um 22:24 schrieb Dean Sauer:
> Looking at the documentation for 2.4.1 in regards to master/relay which
> seems to outline what I want to do...
>
> Master = load balance/aribtrator for the relays where the sources connect.
>

> The questions:
>
> 1) Bandwidth - How does the master pass off things to the relays for the
> clients???
Icecast itself has no mechanism to do this yourself. You either have to
provide a dns-round-robin name with all the relays in it or implement a
load-balancer which distributes the clients according to the load of the
relays, geo-location or whatever.
> Does the master when the clients connect tell them to go to
> relay1.domain.invalid:8000/feed
> OR
>
> The master sucks in the relays, thus incurring bandwidth inbound for the
> relays  and outbound for the clients to connect>
The master will happily serve all clients which connect.

> 2) <on-disconnect> and <fallback> Mounts
>
> Scripts for on-disconnect should run on the RELAY that the source
> connects to, correct? Since it really never connects to the master for it
> to notice it has dropped..
>
> Thus.. any fallback mounts should also be on the relay server the source
> connects with, correct?
Never worked with these, sorry.
> 3) SSL v. Non SSL
>
> While darkice doesn't natively support SSL, yet, and adding stunnel to
> layer this may be an option till then but..
>
> So we set up IceCast to listen on 8443 for SSL, 8000 for non SSL..
>
> Now since 99.9999% of the clients are NON SSL.. IF the feed is sent in SSL
> does IceCast translate it to NON SSL on 8000 ?? Or there has to be a SSL
> feed and an non SSL feed???
Icecast sends the stream over all configured ports, no need to have
separete SSL/non-SSL mounts.

Robert.