[Icecast] non latin1 characters in titles/artist et cetera

Stephen Jones smj at cirr.com
Sat Jul 11 16:27:52 UTC 2015

> On Jul 4, 2015, at 1:23 PM, Stephen M. Jones <smj at cirr.com> wrote:
>
> Hello, I searched through the archives and found a suggestion for a
> cyrillic DJ to put the following in icecast.xml:
>
> <mount>
> <mount-name>/mountnamehere</mount-name>
> <charset>UTF-8</charset>
> </mount>

I've not made any more progress on correcting this.  In the icecast log files I see
the non latin characters showing up as they should, but on the player end and on
the icecast status page, these show up as mixed numeric/alpha codes.

I found discussions on this topic here:

http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=5790&sid=0e344159ada979f19ff9cda2dac42b6f <http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=5790&sid=0e344159ada979f19ff9cda2dac42b6f>

And this announcement addressing 'charset' here:

http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=5200&sid=835e8b4c431a224a58ca2a8eb8b5bbe7 <http://icecast.imux.net/viewtopic.php?t=5200&sid=835e8b4c431a224a58ca2a8eb8b5bbe7>

And then in the documentation where it provides examples for the icecast.xml file:

http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.4.0/config-file.html <http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.4.0/config-file.html>

I've probably just got that misconfigured.  In my setup I'm streaming from nicecast to the
icecast server and authenticating via <relay> so while I've got a <mount> defined with the
same mount-name as my nicecast stream to the icecast server, I don't believe the <charaset>
directive I have defined is even used.   What is the correct way for me to configure icecast.xml?