[Icecast] a dedicated audio encoder

unosonic un at dom.de
Thu Jan 22 13:41:16 UTC 2015

Maarten S:
> Is anyone having positive or negative experience with these or other brands, or perhaps even built one yourself (Raspberry..)?

well, sort of, with a PI, Ices2 as a client, and an USB audio device as
input, e.g. a "class compliant" audio recoder like Olympus LS5, Zoom H2
etc., but also a little mixer like the Behringer Xenyx 302 USB.
The problem i've encountered is with USB class1 devices, i.e. so called
"full speed" USB (which is the slowest one). It requires to force the
PI into USB1.1 at boot time, which affects the network stack and probably
others. The result is not satisfying, distorted sound and drops. All fine
with USB2.0, but haven't found a suitable pre-amp yet. I'd love to try
with a Sound Devices Mix Pre (battery driven, 2 HQ mic inputs, USB1.1 + 2.0
compliant, according to the specs). the price tag has prevented that
experience so far... ;)
Power supply is an issue, esp. when you need a mobile unit. Should be stable
and not too weak. Overall it's nice with the PI, Ices2 is stable and you can
setup your scripts for link control, remote operation, login per ssh to
control level via ALSA mixer etc. pp.
bests, u.