[Icecast] Typically end-to-end 'delay' of live audio

Tony yellowjacketlite at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 14:45:28 UTC 2015

I have an audio device driver for a live feed that produces Opus frames, if
I were to use icecast, what sort of real-time delay can I expect? 3-5s?
5-10s? more?

I've tried using the html5 <audio> tag directly to stream my source, but it
seems browsers like to queue-up 250K to 500K of audio 'data' before they
begin playback.  That introduces a 15-30s delay depending on browser and
the audio compression used.  I'd like an html5 (plugin-less) solution that
introduces no more than a 3-5s delay.
--
Tony