[Icecast] Automatic Update of MP3 Files

Gene Steinberg gene at theparacast.com
Fri Sep 26 13:57:09 UTC 2014

Well, not quite. The radio network that carries my two radio shows does on-demand and live.

We just wanted an on-demand streamer for our own needs.

The code from our webmaster to update after a linked file is replaced is:

WHEN YOU UPLOAD A NEW SHOW:

1) You need to update the playlist file with the new show.

	A) PARACAST FILE LIVES HERE: /usr/local/etc/paracast.m3u
	B) TECH NIGHT OWN FILE LIVES HERE: /usr/local/etc/nightowl.m3u

2) Shut down/restart icecast. (there may be ways of not having to restart the stream, but it's beyond me)

	A) RUN THIS COMMAND: ps -C icecast
	B) Get the PID # that is shown for icecast
	C) RUN THIS COMMAND (where PID# is from above): kill PID#
	D) RUN THIS COMMAND: /usr/bin/icecast -c /etc/icecast.xml -b
	E) You MIGHT have to hit CTRL-C after that last step to return to prompt.

3) Restart icegenerator (this is what serves the mp3 files to icecast)

	A) RUN THIS COMMAND: /usr/local/bin/icegenerator -f /usr/local/etc/paracast.cfg
	B) RUN THIS COMMAND: /usr/local/bin/icegenerator -f /usr/local/etc/nightowl.cfg

So what am I missing? Can we make this dynamic?

Peace,
Gene