[Icecast] Running Icecast2 behind Amazon Elastic Load Balancer (ELB)

Matt Gray matt.gray at 7digital.com
Mon Oct 13 19:08:00 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm writing to see if anyone here has had any success running Icecast2
(specifically I am using 2.4) on Amazon EC2 behind an Elastic Load Balancer?

I have the ELB configured to do TCP loadbalancing rather than HTTP.  I am
able to connect and to stream music via the ELB, but when I disconnect, the
listener count in Icecast does not decrease. On examining the state of the
sockets table after disconnection I see that the socket from the ELB to
Icecast is in the CLOSE_WAIT state *, and it remains in that state
indefinitely. When I connect to the Icecast server directly, connections
are established and closed as expected. I'm using Debian Wheezy in EC2.

Any suggestions or workarounds? It is my understanding that Icecast should
be closing the sockets in the CLOSE_WAIT state.

Thanks,

Matt

*
root at ip-10-0-0-60:~# netstat -atnp | grep 8000
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8000            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
     9615/icecast2
tcp     1000      0 10.0.0.60:8000          10.0.0.79:35915
ESTABLISHED 9615/icecast2   <-- This is my liquidsoap source server
tcp        1      0 10.0.0.60:8000          10.0.0.69:14665
CLOSE_WAIT  9615/icecast2 <-- This is the listener connection via ELB that
I believe should now be closed.

ps: Apologies for the email disclaimer below, I can't remove it.

--

This email, including attachments, is private and confidential. If you have
received this email in error please notify the sender and delete it from

7digital Limited. Registered office: 69 Wilson Street, London EC2A 2BB.
Registered in England and Wales. Registered No. 04843573.