[Icecast] Playback of URL Authenticated Stream in Browser

Jay Nicholas jaynicholas at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 05:06:17 UTC 2014

Hello!

I'm having trouble embedding my url-authenticated stream on my website on
certain browsers. I'm hoping someone can offer some advice.

My site offers a subscription to the stream where the username and password
are system-generated and unique to the subscriber. The system-generated
password is stored in the database and passed to the page based on which
subscriber is logged in. Since the username and password are
system-generated and unique to each subscriber, I'm not concerned about
passing the username and password in the URL for the Icecast server
authentication.

Embedding the following URL in my HTML5 audio player works in Safari and
Firefox:

http://theusername:thepassword@myicecastserver.com/my-mount-point

However, this method doesn't work in Chrome or Internet Explorer because
these browsers don't support passing the username and password in the URL.
(If I embed a mount URL in Chrome or Internet Explorer without
authentication it works just fine so I know it's the authentication that is
the problem. It's not a player compatibility issue.) In Chrome it still
prompts for the username and password. In Internet Explorer it just simply
doesn't work.

Does anyone have any guidance regarding how I can pass the username and
password authentication header with javascript, php, or another method?

Thanks!

Jay