[Icecast] can I convert ogg to mp3 streaming on fly?

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Thu Oct 2 14:06:39 UTC 2014

On 09/29/2014 02:35 PM, Simone Dal Maso wrote:
> Hello,
> I am configuring a webradio and I'm using icecast2 with deefuzzer.
> the music streaming work, in mp3 format.
> I want to make a second streaming with my iphone, and the app that I'm
> using, Koalasan,  can stream only in OGG, AAC or Opus.

I'd go for Opus. Best quality for the bit-rate.

> I want that when I start speaking, music stops and my voice is online.
> Deefuzzer is able to do this with "relay", but the original stream in
> mp3, and the stream from my iphone is in ogg.
> do you know if I can convert the ogg streaming to mp3 and then pass it
> to icecast?

You could use an on-connect hook on /highquality.opus to start a
re-encoder that then sends this to /lowquality.mp3. If /lowquality.mp3
has a fallback, with override, of /lowquality-background.mp3, then all
will happen like magic.
When disconnecting, I'd use the on-disconnect hook to kill the transcoder.

You can use liquidsoap, streamtranscoder, gstreamer, vlc or one of the
other clients for this.

Cheers

Thomas