[Icecast] Problem Starting IceS

Steve Matzura sm at noisynotes.com
Thu Nov 20 16:41:59 UTC 2014

I installed IceS version 2.33. libshout.so.3, which is a symlink to
libshout.so.3.2.0, is located in /usr/lib64. That's where the Red Hat
Package Manager put it. I have a line in /etc/ld.so.conf:

/usr/lib64

to make sure the shared object library gets loaded. According to the
output from 'ldconfig -p|grep libshout' it
has. When I start IceS, I get:

ices: error while loading shared libraries: libshout.so.3: cannot open
shared object: no such file or directory

Every analysis of this error points to a missing shared object library
(.so), but it's there.

$ ls -al /usr/lib64/libshout*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    17 Aug 19 01:59 /usr/lib64/libshout.so.3 ->
libshout.so.3.2.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 77016 Aug  3  2013 /usr/lib64/libshout.so.3.2.0

The Linux account from which I am attempting to start IceS has been
added to the line in /etc/group (maybe not the best practice, but it
serves a purpose), so I don't think it's a read permissions problem.

Your kind assistance, please, is most appreciated in solving this one.