[Icecast] Keeping icecast + ices 2.X running on a strict schedule?

Brad Isbell brad at musatcha.com
Mon May 26 03:48:49 UTC 2014

The server doesn't control the rate, the source does.  Provided you aren't
getting corrupt stream data (and it doesn't sound like you are), you don't
have a server bug in this case.  At a basic level, the server level takes
the data that comes in from the source, buffers it, and sends it right back
out the door at the rate at which it came in.

It isn't entirely clear to me where you're seeing the timing issue and what
your setup is, but there are a couple other things to think about:

   - Clock drift happens.  It's pretty severe but not unheard of for a
   sound card to play back +/- 1% or so of the rate.  In your case, you're
   looking at a 0.28% difference.  Perhaps there is a problem on the playback
   end?  Are you sure your users are having this trouble?  Even if they all
   aren't, some inevitably will on any station.
   - Measurement in time of lossy audio files is usually not very exact.
    MP3 files in particular have no track length header.
   - Timing tracks down to the second will throw you off by 10 seconds at
   the end of a playlist anyway, due to rounding up/down to the nearest second.
   - If you can, don't plan out your perfect playlist by time.  You need
   something that will automatically adjust things for you as you go.  It's
   unrealistic to assume that you will be able to come up with a playlist
   timed perfectly when dealing with a variety of formats and codecs with an
   encoder that has an artificial clock sending audio to remotes that have
   completely separate clocks.

I don't know what the core of the problem is that you're having, so
hopefully this is helpful.

Brad Isbell
brad at musatcha.com
http://www.musatcha.com