[Icecast] Icecast2, ezstream and reverse proxy

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Fri May 23 08:59:36 UTC 2014

On 05/21/2014 10:51 PM, David Hendry wrote:
> Ezstream is working well locally with Icecast2 on port 8000 on a Debian Wheezy platform. However, I use a reverse proxy (Pound) to pass all requests from the Internet for x.mysite.com to backend localhost:8000 i.e. my Icecast2 server.

The short answer is: don't put Icecast behind a reverse proxy.

You are trying to put non-HTTP traffic through a HTTP reverse proxy, I'm
not the least surprised that this fails.
There /might/ be a slim chance to get things working better if you
switch to Icecast 2.4.0 AND use a source client that uses PUT instead of
SOURCE. But only if the reverse proxy supports PUT.

Your reverse proxy might still have problems with the long-lived TCP
connections and other things specific to Icecast.

Cheers

Thomas