[Icecast] html5/js source client?

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Sat May 3 17:24:27 UTC 2014

On 05/03/2014 04:40 PM, Brad Isbell wrote:
> I have built a web-based source client using the Web Audio API and
> getUserMedia, called the AudioPump Web Encoder.  It uses the SHOUTcast
> source protocol for now, but I have the code nearly ready for the
> Icecast source protocol for when someone needs it.
>
> You can see a demo here:  http://demo.audiopump.co:3000/

That's pretty impressive.

> The Web Encoder is built with a jQuery Mobile UI optimized for mobile
> devices at the moment.  It's compatible with Chrome (desktop and
> latest of mobile), Firefox (desktop and mobile), and Opera (desktop
> only).  Binary web sockets are used for sending audio to the server,
> where it is encoded into the desired codec(s)

Out of curiosity, what are you using as the intermediate codec? I think
most of those browsers support Opus (for webRTC) and it might be even
possible to go directly to Icecast without the mediating server.

> and sent off to Icecast/SHOUTcast servers.

Please note, that we're about to release version 2.4 and will deprecate
the SOURCE method in favor of plain HTTP1.1 PUT.
Might want to keep that in mind. We're going to support SOURCE still for
a long while, but it might be easier for future source clients to
support PUT.

> The general idea was to make a really simple source client that could
> be launched with a single click (such as from a hosting provider's
> admin panel).  The client accepts parameters on the query-string for
> configuring so that in a real-world environment, the user would not
> have to configure anything.  It is also built in such a way that the
> UI can be thrown away, leaving the back-end code to integrate into
> another application.

That's indeed very nice. I will have to ask a question though, will it
be open source or is this a commercial solution?

> Let me know if there is interest.  I can easily add the native Icecast
> compatibility.

I think the echo on the list speaks for itself. :-)

Cheers

Thomas