[Icecast] html5/js source client?

Brad Isbell brad at musatcha.com
Sat May 3 16:40:44 UTC 2014

I have built a web-based source client using the Web Audio API and
getUserMedia, called the AudioPump Web Encoder.  It uses the SHOUTcast
source protocol for now, but I have the code nearly ready for the Icecast
source protocol for when someone needs it.

You can see a demo here:  http://demo.audiopump.co:3000/

The Web Encoder is built with a jQuery Mobile UI optimized for mobile
devices at the moment.  It's compatible with Chrome (desktop and latest of
mobile), Firefox (desktop and mobile), and Opera (desktop only).  Binary
web sockets are used for sending audio to the server, where it is encoded
into the desired codec(s) and sent off to Icecast/SHOUTcast servers.

The general idea was to make a really simple source client that could be
launched with a single click (such as from a hosting provider's admin
panel).  The client accepts parameters on the query-string for configuring
so that in a real-world environment, the user would not have to configure
anything.  It is also built in such a way that the UI can be thrown away,
leaving the back-end code to integrate into another application.

Let me know if there is interest.  I can easily add the native Icecast
compatibility.

Brad Isbell
brad at musatcha.com
http://www.musatcha.com