[Icecast] How to read out metadata

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Thu Mar 13 06:15:39 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 03/13/2014 03:24 AM, Guido Budack wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I want to read out meta-data (audio) and compare to a record-set in a mysql database.
> Any suggestions where to start?

Depends a bit on the use case. You can read it from the stream, from the
server or from the source client.

> The aim is to set up some sort of a hit-list (most played titles) and announce it on the website...

Then you might want to consider the playlist logging functionality built
into Icecast. It writes out the played songs, mount point and number of
listeners.
Another approach might be a STATS client (see curl example on the front
page).
You could also read the stats from Icecasts web interface/API. There are
also custom XSLT files that produce just artist title, etc. The downside
is that you have to poll at an interval, so that you don't miss a
change. Hence the former approaches are probably better.

Cheers

Thomas