[Icecast] BUG ? - Metadata/tags NOT UPDATING - Python IceCast 2.3.2[3]

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Tue Jul 29 16:21:04 UTC 2014

On 07/25/2014 04:41 PM, Dean Sauer wrote:
> I use darkce as my encoder for my setup, thus it has no means to send the
> data needed for my particular streams for the metadata..just FYI, it is
> not song data, so it changes quite frequently.....
>
> So I have a python program which will WORK, but ONLY AS THE ADMIN user.
>
> Other programs non python, non darkice, can do this and they don't have
> the admin user info...so what gives.
>
> Icecast 2.3.2[3]

Which version of Icecast is this?
I'm not quite sure how to read the above.
As a side note: We released 2.4.0 recently, including packages for most
distros.

> Example:
<snip />

> IF I *USE ADMIN *credentials /*WORKS/*
>
> IF I _use "source"_ as the user name and the source password I get A
> SUCCESS ON UPDATE.. BUT the UPDATE NEVER SHOWS!
>

> Using the admin crendetials:
> $ ./metaUP.py
> Wed Jul 23 01:42:24 2014
> Icecast Update OK
>
> Using "source" as username and the source password:
>
> @marilyn:~/caster/tags$ ./metaUP.py
> Wed Jul 23 01:42:49 2014
> Icecast Update OK
>
> BUT THE TAGS NEVER CHANGE EVEN WITH DIFFERENT DATA.

Have you looked at the error.log yet?
Increase log level to 4 and check for differences.
Also I'm not sure if looking for the HTTP status code is sufficient. You
might need to evaluate the actual server response. I'd need to check the
source to be sure though.

Are you by chance sending the updates from a different IP than the
source client?
There were frequent problems with two or more source clients "fighting"
for the mount and _both_ updating the metadata. This was disabled by
only allowing metadata updates from the same IP as the source client.

Cheers

Thomas