[Icecast] Icecast Over ssl

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Thu Dec 18 21:52:03 UTC 2014

On 12/18/2014 09:43 PM, Xabier Oneca -- xOneca wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> El 18/12/2014 22:25, Thomas B. Rücker <thomas at ruecker.fi
> <mailto:thomas at ruecker.fi>> escribió:
> >
> > On 12/18/2014 08:54 PM, Xabier Oneca -- xOneca wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello, Thomas,

> >> Sorry! I wanted to say I didn't know it it had support. I don't
> know why I've written that! :S
> >>
> >> That's what happens by replying with my mind in other things, I
> suppose...
> >

> > No worries, now you know. :-)

> <mailto:daelynn.baudais at shaw.ca>

> connection?

> >> Sorry again and cheers!
> >>
> >> Xabier Oneca_,,_
> >

> > Don't sweat it, just wanted to be sure people don't pick up the
> stunnel idea as it's a rather problematic workaround.
>
> So, Icecast + stunnel is not a good idea?

For starters you lose the ability to see the IP of your clients in Icecast.
Also all dynamic content likely will generate for something different
(although the same problem might currently exist with Icecast, it would
be reasonable to fix as Icecast is aware of a connection on a SSL socket
as opposed to plain TCP).

> I prefer using 'native' SSL support, but when there isn't, I am very
> happy using stunnel.

Yes, it is OK as a work-around. It comes at certain inconveniences that
need to be weighed.

Cheers

Thomas