[Icecast] Metadata configurablity in Icecast

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Mon Dec 1 22:25:21 UTC 2014

reflum,

On Fri, 2014-11-21 at 18:34 +0200, Geoff Shang wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2014, Philipp Schafft wrote:
>
> > What is your schedule? How fast do you need it? Could we target a fix
> > for in about a week?
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to cause a panic.

Oh, don't worry.

> I don't have an immediate need for this feature.  I know others do, or at
> least might, and have always felt this should be configurable ever since
> it was first implemented.  I've never run an affected version in
> production so it has never affected me, but with the recent security
> fixes making me think about it and the metadata thing having been
>   mentioned a few times lately, I finally spoke up.

I think I understand.

I commited a huge change to the authentication stuff in Icecast that
nearly completely replaced it. This replaces all the <*-username> and
<*-password> and some more tags with a new one we call <role>.
I think it's now possible to out of the box configure what you were
talking about. You could also define a new role that is just for
metadata updates and has no other rights.

The update is in trunk right now and will be included in the next
release (2.4.2). I would love to have some more testers on this. If you
are interested to help a bit with that and test your specific case I
would love to work with you.

To everyone who got curious what <role> may be:
It's a new way to define *any* kind of authentication in Icecast. It
allows to add 'roles' which can have fine grade configured access
rights. Another big pro of the new concept is that there is no
difference between per mount, default mount and global configuration. It
got an uniform interface.

Will Icecast 2.4.2 stop reading pre-2.4.2 config files because of this
change? No! Nor there are any plans to remove support for the old way.
No need to worry!

Have a nice evening!

--
Philipp.