[Icecast] IceCast KH - question

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Sun Jun 9 12:35:23 UTC 2013

On 06/06/13 17:13, Live Mix - Arvy wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> we use IceCast KH on our webradio, no commercial. We have an issue that
> we dont know where to look. When listening using WinAmp (but in other
> players too like JW Player), after 70 or 90 minutes, we realize that the
> "green square" on top of WinAmp becomes a "red square". About 60 minutes
> after start, sometimes the "red square" blinks, and then more
> frequently. It happens with different internet connections and
> providers. Until 60 minutes, the broadcast is perfect.
>
> Can you give me an idea where to look or solve this issue? It's related
> to Icecast, or encoder, or internet connection, etc?

My initial guess would be the encoder sending rate being mismatched with
the samplerate.  When a player reports an issue it needs to be clear on
what it is relating to, but I suspect it will be down to a starvation of
the incoming data.

Any issue within icecst here would should as an increased lag value for
that listener on the admin page, icecast will send a lot faster than the
source but is still subject to certain limits like CPU or may be a
per-mount limit (limit-rate is set).

If it is affecting multiple listeners at different locations at a
consistent offset into the stream then the sending rate from the source
is suspect. May be a 44k/48k mismatch or a bad clock on the source client.

karl.