[Icecast] maximum file descriptor limit - icecast freeze

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Tue Feb 26 12:54:23 UTC 2013

reflum,

On Thu, 2013-02-21 at 09:29 +0200, Rücker Thomas wrote:
> On 20/02/13 19:38, Alexandru Matei wrote:
> > A week ago I had a blocked icecast server because of the open files. I
> > read some posts about the 1024 fd limit but this is not the case. My
> > stations rarely has 300 listeners. From the log I can see that around
> > 3PM I had 7 listeners on a mount and 35 on another one. Then, suddenly
> > the only line written to the log is
> > [2013-02-13  15:59:06] WARN connection/accept_client accept() failed
> > with error 24: Too many open files
> > After some hours I found out about this issue and had to kill icecast.
> > The stop command didn't work. This is the only time this happened.
> > If it were about the number of listerners they would have showed up in
> > the log... So...could have been an attack? The others system logs were
> > clean.
>
> Sounds like that KH-build is leaking file descriptors under certain
> circumstances.

To debug:
Consider running it with valgrind. It will automatically detect some
program errors. IIRC leaked fhs are only listed at termination so run it
for some time and then exit it so you get a nice report. use at minimum
-v. See --help.

> > I'm running ubuntu 10.04 lts and icecast 2.3.3 kh5 branch - build 30-gfe06a77

Please note that kh isn't offically supported by the xiph foundation. So
you likly need to handle it yourself somehow or pay someone to fix it.

--
Philipp.
 (Rah of PH2)