[Icecast] iOS and authenticated streams

Rücker Thomas thomas.ruecker at tieto.com
Sat Feb 16 18:16:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 13/02/13 06:18, Jay Wineinger wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've setup a mount with URL authentication.  This works perfectly from
> a desktop machine using Chrome or VLC.  I've previously used public
> streams from iOS played through mobile chrome or safari (and others
> have used the Radio Box app), which also worked perfectly.   However,
> when I load an stream that requires authentication on mobile Chrome,
> it prompts me for the credentials but then gives me a "Failed
> download" error page once I enter them.  Mobile safari is no better,
> nor are any mobile apps I can find.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this, knows a reason this
> might be, or any way to get authenticated streams to work on an iOS
> device.  Seems strange to me that a basic auth requirement would break
> the ability of these things to play the stream.

Many clients don't handle http basic auth scenarios well...
A possible work-around is to put an auth-token or credentials (beware,
plain text!) into the parameter part of the url:
http://example.org:8000/mystream.opus?token=28f81248-9c42-4d98-bd74-e47ddd4f4395

This will only work with the URL-auth backend though. For more details see:
http://www.icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.3.3/icecast2_listenerauth.html
The parameters will be handed through somehow. Just try it out.

Cheers

Thomas