[Icecast] Newbie Questions

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Thu Aug 1 08:39:59 UTC 2013

Hi Derek,

On 07/31/2013 07:46 AM, Derek Jones wrote:
> Many thanks for providing this software.

Thanks, we hope you'll find it useful.

> I have version v2.0.0 b1023 installed on a QNAP NAS. The station is
> working fine (http://digitalcarnage.myqnapcloud.com:8002/stream).
> However I do have a few questions.

I don't think so. That would be a 10 year old version. Also the fact,
that your web interface has XSPF tells me it must be at least 2.3.2.

> How do I submit my station to the Icecast directory? I may have got it
> wrong but I understood that the application submitted it
> automatically? Or do I have to submit/create and XML file etc.

There are two things:
- the Icecast config (icecast.xml) needs to have a working and enabled
YP entry. By default that's probably commented out on most distributions.
- the source client needs to set the 'public' bit, or it needs to be
overridden in a mount point specific config setting in Icecast.

You'll probably find it useful to give the documentation a look.
Specifically:
http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.3.3/icecast2_config_file.html
http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.3.3/icecast2_yp.html

> The MP3 link works fine at http://digitalcarnage.myqnapcloud.com:8002
> but the XSPF link returns: "*Could not parse XSLT file" * What have I
> missed here.

That's most certainly not a MP3, but a M3U link, which is a playlist
file format.
There was a bug in the make file of 2.3.2 which made the xspf.xsl file
not be installed. You can put it in the admin directory manually after
downloading it from here:
http://svn.xiph.org/icecast/tags/icecast_2_3_3/admin/xspf.xsl

> I have had a good look around for this one so I'm guessing its a "no"
> but can you have multiple streams? through the same port/server?

Yes of course, that's one of the main advantages of Icecast.
You might want to have a look here to gain some better understanding:
http://liveice.sourceforge.net/understanding.html

> Finally, and this is finally. I'd like to get a better understanding
> of Relay Servers and how they are used in IceStation and also "Mounts"
> What they are and how to use them.

Please see the link above too. In addition:
http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.3.3/icecast2_relay.html
http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.3.3/icecast2_config_file.html#relay

Hope that helps. If you have further questions, just ask. We're here to
help!

Cheers

Thomas

PS: Please lose the disclaimer in your footer. It's legally pointless in
general, but on a PUBLIC mailing list it's highly annoying. Also please
don't send HTML emails to mailing lists.