[Icecast] Icecast Digest, Vol 107, Issue 12

"Thomas B. Rücker" thomas at ruecker.fi
Mon Apr 22 11:32:15 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 04/21/2013 07:51 PM, Ashwin Kumar wrote:
> hi thomas,
>
> thank you for your reply.
> here are my doubts,

I hope you don't doubt Icecast, but meant 'questions'. Anyway, on to the
items.

>  1. what is sample rate and is there any relation between bitrate and
>     sample rate.

That's more of a fundamental question. I'd recommend to read about the
basics of digital audio and codecs. That is certainly going to answer
any questions in this regard. You could start here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio and here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_codec and follow to other articles or
better resources.
A university library should also have books that cover digital signal
processing.
In brief: with lossy codecs there is a loose relationship between sample
rate and bit rate.

>  1. how can i see data log for streams on icecast server - i want to
>     see if there is any spikes in users on particular mountpoint, so
>     that i can configure that stream on a dedicated server with high
>     bandwidth.

Icecast follows the Unix principle of focusing on one thing and getting
it right. This means that while we do produce all the necessary raw data
for this it is not necessarily easy to grasp by looking at it. There are
however other tools that are good at specifically processing logs or
status data.
In the question at hand you can resort to either log analysis - most
server log software supports icecast; or you can use real time sampling
- there are plug-ins for Munin and Cacti at least.
e.g. http://www.ruecker.fi/foss/icecast/munin-icecast-0.1.tar.bz2

>  1. are there any security measures i should take to protect from hackers.

- Chose secure passwords that can't be brute-forced
- use separate passwords for every user, if necessary use a secured
url-auth backend.
- preferably use SSL for connections that need to authenticate or secure
them otherwise (local, vpn, tunnels, etc.)

>  1. i want to see any configuration recommendations in icecast
>     documentation.

The documentation provides examples that can be easily customized to
each individual use case.
Icecast also ships with a default config file for a minimal use case,
make sure to change passwords though.

>  1. i can share my documentation if you are interested to write an
>     article on how-to-setup basic icecast server to stream live feed.

I believe there are quite many such articles already, also the archive
of this mailing list serves as a good source of information to
interested parties.

Cheers

Thomas

PS: please send plain text emails to the mailing list. Using HTML emails
causes problems. Thanks!