[Icecast] multiple icecast server instances on debian system

tzara rc-lists at kiben.net
Mon Oct 1 16:40:42 UTC 2012

 On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:37:04 +0200, Philipp Schafft wrote:
> reflum,
>
> On Mon, 2012-10-01 at 17:19 +0100, tzara wrote:
>>  hello,
>>
>>  i am trying to have multiple server instances on different ports on
>> the
>>  same debian server.
>
> This by itself sounds wrong.
> You can bind the same icecast to multiple listen addresses (->
> multipe
> ports).
>
> Is there any specific reason you don't do it this way?

 yes, i am running a relay of many streams of variable quantity, so i
 cannot always rely on a source slot being available for my own uses - so
 i want another instance on another port for my own use.
 i dont want to simply raise the max sources as it will just fill up and
 i only want to offer a relay of the amount of streams limited by my
 config.

>>  i thought if i had (along side the standard server files):
>>
>>  /etc/icecast2/icecast+.xml config file (with changed port number)
>>  /etc/default/icecast+ pointing to new config file
>>  new log files with 777 permissions (for the sake of testing)
>
> Setting permissions to 0777 anywhere on the systems is a *VERY BAD*
> idea. I would wrote for OS and software refusing to work in such a
> case.

 ok fair enough... consider my wrists slapped ... like i say momentary
 perms for test.
 but yeah i am a dirty security risk taker ... i hang my head in shame.

 cheers

 rob