[Icecast] ices2 memory leak on Debian/ARM (The Darkener)

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Tue Jan 10 15:43:31 UTC 2012

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012, Doc Nasty wrote:

> To: icecast at xiph.org
> From: Doc Nasty <doc at krushradio.com>
> Subject: Re: [Icecast] ices2 memory leak on Debian/ARM (The Darkener)
>
> Justin,
>
> I'm not a linux guy, or a that well versed on ICES, but, I went thru the
> code (stream.c) and just kinda nosed around the broadcast part.  When we
> look at distros that this uses, it may be the correct version of the
> package, but it might actually be a supporting package, like curl or
> something like that.  If you look at the code attached below, it shows there
> might be some kind of memory leak that needs to be taken care of.  This is
> in the sdsc stream description, which if I'm right, uses shout.  (#include
> <shout/shout.h>)

There's a Linux memory profiler called:

"Valgrind" is a multipurpose code profiling and memory
debugging tool for Linux when on the x86 and, as of version
3, AMD64, architectures. It allows you to run your program
in Valgrind's own environment that monitors memory usage
such as calls to malloc and free (or new and delete in C++).
If you use uninitialized memory, write off the end of an
array, or forget to free a pointer, Valgrind can detect it.
Since these are particularly common problems, this tutorial
will focus mainly on using Valgrind to find these types of
simple memory problems, though Valgrind is a tool that can
do a lot more.

that might help you out. I've used it to find programs
running under Linux with bad memory management.

For other memory leakage tools, just Google for something
like: memory leak detection tools

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: