[Icecast] Any android source client for icecast ?

Romain Beauxis toots at rastageeks.org
Thu Aug 23 23:39:01 UTC 2012

Hi all,

2012/8/21 Romain Beauxis <toots at rastageeks.org>:
> Hi Guys,
>
> 2012/7/20 juantello <juantello1234 at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> Icecast client for android
>> http://droidtools.sourceforge.net/content/icecast-client-android
>> http://droidtools.sourceforge.net/content/libogglibvorbis-and-libshout-libraries-android
>
> I just finished compiling an android version of our reshaped shine
> encoder [1] there:
>   http://rastageeks.org/~toots/shine-android.tar.gz
>
> In order to use it, you'll need to make /system read-write and copy
> lib/libshine.so.1.0.0 to /system/lib/libshine.so.1 and bin/shineenc to
> /system/bin.
>
> On my low-end HTC, however, encoding is not real-time, which is a bit
> disappointing:
> $ shineenc bla.wav bla.mp3
> shineenc (Liquidsoap version)
> WAV PCM DATA, stereo 44100Hz 16bit, Length:  0: 0:18
> MPEG-I layer III, stereo  Psychoacoustic Model: Shine
> Bitrate=128 kbps  De-emphasis: none   Original
> Encoding "bla.wav" to "bla.mp3"
>  Finished in  0: 0:20
>
> If anyone else feels like testing on another ARM android phone, I'll
> be interested to know if the encoder may be used to encode to mp3 in
> real time...

It works much better with a beefier android device (HTC One V):

shell at android:/data/shine $ shineenc ./bla.wav ./bla.mp3
shineenc (Liquidsoap version)
WAV PCM DATA, stereo 44100Hz 16bit, Length:  0: 3:36
MPEG-I layer III, stereo  Psychoacoustic Model: Shine
Bitrate=128 kbps  De-emphasis: none   Original
Encoding "./bla.wav" to "./bla.mp3"
 Finished in  0: 0:40

:-)

The library could thus be used to build a real-time mp3 client that
streams from the microphone to an icecast server!

I do not think I'll personally take this project on me but feel free
to hit us at savonet-users at lists.sourceforge.net if anyone's
interested!

Romain