[Icecast] Newbie Question

Maarten Bezemer mcbicecast at robuust.nl
Sat Oct 22 15:47:47 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011, Sean Anthony wrote:

> I would hazard a guess that infact on the icecast server you would
> want to set this to a rfc 1918 ip on your lan such as 192.168.x.y or
> whatever range you are using on your home network, then you would need
> to forward the relevant ports through from your router to the icecast
> server.

You need to keep in mind though, that NAT settings such as port
forwarding, not always work as expected, when trying to access NAT-ed
services on the public IP from inside the same NAT.

Example: given external IP-address 1.2.3.4, you can redirect external port
8000 to internal host 192.168.56.7:8000 using the modem/router's
configuration pages. That way, connections to 1.2.3.4:8000 will be
forwarded to 192.168.56.7:8000 and work as expected.

However, when trying to connect to 1.2.3.4:8000 from, say, 192.168.56.3
which is another box inside the same LAN as the icecast server, may not
always work. Connections from anywhere else on the internet WILL work.

Reason for this: router rewrites:
from=192.168.56.3:something to=1.2.3.4:8000
to something like:
from=192.168.56.3:something to=192.168.56.7:8000.
However, when this packet arrives at 192.168.56.7:8000, its reply will go
to 192.168.56.3:something, but at 192.168.56.3 this will not match with
its outgoing connection to 1.2.3.4:8000.
Several routers also rewrite the from-addresses when they come from inside
the LAN, such that the reply will also go through the router and be
re-translated back to the client.
A lot of routers, especially cheap/bulk ISP-provided modem/routers, fail
to also do this extra translation.

And as a free bonus: you might also need to check and tune your
modem/router's firewall settings to actually allow traffic to pass over
port 8000.

HTH,
Maarten