[Icecast] Question from a newby

Paul Martin pm at nowster.me.uk
Wed Oct 5 17:16:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 09:04:48AM -0400, Chuck Adkins wrote:
> My name is Chuck and I am very very new to Icecast. I work at a Radio
> Reading Service and I am looking for something that will let me stream
> audio and be played on both a pc, mac/Iphone. In short, will Icecast
> do this?

Yes, but icecast on its own won't do it.

For live sources you can use it in conjunction with ices1 (MP3 only),
ices2 (Ogg Vorbis only) or darkice (Vorbis, MP3 and AAC+, even
simultaneously if you want).

Don't forget the possibility of using a sound card's loopback (record
from output) option. That gives you the flexibility to use any playout
program you like.

--
Paul Martin <pm at nowster.me.uk>