[Icecast] OGG stream drops after every couple/few tracks

The Darkener thedarkener at logicalnetworking.net
Fri May 20 00:25:21 UTC 2011

Hi all,

First question on this list - I am running into issues with my embedded
OGG stream players (so far I've used ffmp3 and just today started trying
jlgui), and honestly I'm not sure what's up. I'm hoping someone would be
kind enough to help me figure it out.

Basically, I have a setup that pulls a number of OGG files from MPD (all
the same bitrate/etc AFAIK)

In ffmp3, when the stream breaks/stops playing (after 1-4 songs, always
at the beginning of the next track) I get the following error repeated
across the flash player graphic:

"demuxer.hx:127 unexpected error"

Federico, the developer of ffmp3, told me that it's a part of the FOGG
library that's breaking.

When the stream breaks, I can look at my Icecast status and it still
thinks there is a connected stream.

The same issue seems to crop up when I use fallback mountpoints (to go
from a playlist/autoDJ to live and back). Audacious doesn't experience
this issue and handles the mountpoint jumping just fine.

I don't see anything in my icecast logs (or stream generator logs, which
I've used Ices2 as well as MPD when it experiences the error above) that
indicate streams dropping when they do, and it seems that when I use a
stream client such as Audacious, the stream doesn't drop (though it has
in the past with Totem). So I'm confident it's the stream client itself,
but with multiple clients experiencing the same issue, I'm scratching my
head as to what it could be in common with all of them.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'll provide whatever
configuration snippets anyone might need to help pinpoint the issue. I
really want to stick with OGG streaming and not go to MP3 as I believe
in open codecs, and honestly they are much more flexible with what I'm
trying to accomplish. It breaks my heart to see so many people in
mailing lists/forums say "I'll just start streaming in MP3 and the
problem will go away". I want to try and help OGG streaming get fixed in
these situations instead.

My server's info:
$ uname -a
Linux socorock 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Mar 7 21:35:22 UTC 2011 x86_64
GNU/Linux

$ dpkg -l|grep icecast
ii  icecast2       2.3.2-6  Ogg Vorbis and MP3 streaming media server

$ dpkg -l|grep mpd
ii  libmpdclient2  2.3-1   client library for the Music Player Daemon
ii  mpd            0.15.12-1.1     Music Player Daemon

Cheers,
Jordan