[Icecast] Standard method to read current listeners without user/password

josh at thepruitts.org josh at thepruitts.org
Fri May 13 16:12:29 UTC 2011

Hi all,

This is the output of status2.xsl:

MountPoint,Connections,Stream Name,Current
Listeners,Description,Currently Playing,Stream URL
Global,Client:60461 Source: ,,7,,
/foxcub,,,7,, - Brian Eno - Dune Prophecy theme,

It doesn't look like any csv output I've ever seen.

Some of the output seems to be string literal and some of it is the
actual server information, and at some parts there's more than one ','
between each entity.

Can anyone explain how this format works?

Thanks,

Josh

On 05/12/2011 11:19 PM, Geoff Shang wrote:
> Hi Ross,
>
> Sorry if anyone else has already answered this.
>
> Yes there is.  Icecast can produce stats in any format desired using XSLT
> templates.  These take the built-in XML as input and can format the output
> any way you like.
>
> There are two XSLT templates included with Icecast2 by default, status.xsl
> and status2.xsl.  Status2.xsl would be easy to parse as it outputs in CSV
> format.  The format is:
>
> MountPoint,Connections,Stream Name,Current Listeners,Description,Currently
> Playing,Stream URL
>
> Of course, as these are external files, the server admin could call them
> whatever they want.  But in my experience, most people leave them exactly
> where they are installed.  So you'll be able to find it at
> http://server:port/status2.xsl
>
> I've actually been meaning to write to you about this as I'm not  real
> wild about broadcasters having the admin password to the server either.  I
> wish there were some way to password-protect XSL-generated stats with some
> other password in Icecast2 in order to keep the information safe from
> prying eyes, but I don't think it is.  Maybe a feature for 2.3.3, whenever
> it comes out?
>
> Geoff.

"Everyone is a genius but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." - Albert Einstein