[Icecast] Local & Relay

Ian Bonham ian.bonham at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 10:57:41 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm new to the list, and I wonder if someone could offer some advice
please or point me to a previous thread about this in the archives?

I work for a Radio station on the Costa Del Sol in Spain, and
currently we're using DarkIce to take an audio feed (over USB) from
our desk into DarkIce and then sending up to a hosted IceCast2 server.
This works perfectly, and I have a cronjob programmed to start a new
feed every hour as we also record each hour for logging purposes.

Now however, some presenters wish to do their shows from home or
remote locations. They are only really technically able to use
SimpleCast.

My theoretical solution is to install IceCast on my streaming machine,
and have them connect to mountpoints on that. The stream may well be
arriving at the main studio in OGG (if I get my way!). Then I think
I'll need IceCast to make that stream available on a port on 127.0.0.1
at some random address as it's behind the studios firewall. Then I'll
need something on the machine to play the stream on that port on the
machine to stdout, and have DarkIce read the stream from stdin as
opposed to playing from the USB Virtual Soundcard the desk is attached
to. This can then send to our hosted IceCast server.

I 'could' just have IceCast running on the streaming computer, working
as a relay to our hosted server I guess, and switch the relay source
from Local Audio Card to a Local Icecast mount point, but I'm not sure
how I would set this up.

The hosted server is on Centova and is not that flexible through their
control panels as far as I can see, so ideally I would just like to
send them one stream to one mountpoint and switch the sources in my
main studios.

Has anyone tried this sort of thing before, and can you suggest any
methods please?

Many thanks,

Ian Bonham