[Icecast] IceS output to alsa sound card

Maarten Bezemer mcbicecast at robuust.nl
Sat Feb 12 16:52:22 UTC 2011

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011, Ian Bonham wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I'd reflect Vieri's question actually, because there must be a way of
> doing it? Maybe not with ICES, but maybe combines with JackIT?

Don't know jack about JackIT. Also, that's not really relevant for this
list. This is about icecast, the server part.
Given, ices as a way to stream content to icecast is also covered, but
output of sound to a sound card is clearly a player topic, not a server
topic.

Ices takes audio FROM a source (either files or a capture device such as a
sound card) and streams it TO an icecast server. This question is about
sending audio data TO a sound card.

Radio stations create an audio stream, feed it into a server, and have
listeners connect to this server. Optionally, you could connect an FM
transmitter to an audio player, transmitting the stream into the air at
some remote location. But there are so many streaming audio players that I
don't think this list would be the right place to discuss those.

Technically, I'd say you need something like:
while true; do
    audioplayer-program http://hostname:port/streamname
done
Where audioplayer-program can be something like madplay, mpg123, ogg123,
mplayer, or a combination of a wget or curl to fetch the stream, piped
into a network-unaware player program.

HTH,
Maarten