[Icecast] Help for 5000 clients server + 50 sources

Brandon Casci brandon at loudcity.net
Wed Feb 2 18:35:57 UTC 2011

Take the maximum number of listeners you want, multiply that by the bitrate
you'll be streaming it, and you'll have an idea what you peak bandwidth
could be.

I have a server with hundreds of sources and nearly 1000 outgoing
connections. It;s rock steady. You don't need a power house. You're dealing
with intense network throughput, but not so much memory or CPU utilization.

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Michael Smith <msmith at xiph.org> wrote:

> Assuming you can push the network traffic out, any modern server should be
> fine.
>
> Whether you can handle this much network traffic will depend on what
> bitrate you're running your streams at, and what sort of outbound
> internet connectivity you have.
>
> Mike
>

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 9:27 AM, owl700 at gmail.com <owl700 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, i need a server for 5000 clients and 50 sources at the same time
> >
> > Can you help me to choose the right server?
> >
> > I was thinking this one
> >
> > PowerEdge R710
> > n.2 x Intel Xeon E5502 (1,86GHz, cache 4MB, 4,86 GT/s QPI)
> > 2GB Memory for 1CPU (2x1GB Single Rank UDIMMs) 1066MHz 2 X 146GB SAS
> > 15.000rpm 3,5" hd hot-plug PERC 6/i RAID controller 256MB PCIe 2x4
> > 1 gbit network card
> >
> > Thanks

Brandon Casci
Loudcaster