[Icecast] How to add my station to dir.xiph.org?

Walter Lapchynski wxl at freeshell.de
Fri Sep 24 20:02:51 UTC 2010

Sarit keren <saritmiki <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello I'm totally newbie with this I wanted to ask this on the forum but from
some reason I can't register... so if you guys can help me I'll be very glad..

I can sympathize; I can't get registered either. I've got my account setup on
the forums but I've been waiting months for activation. I even tracked down
EvilOverlord (one of the admins) and emailed him. Nothing. If the spam is THAT
bad, the whole thing should be locked down and we should all migrate to the
mailing list.

> do I have to do change something in the Icecast xml file?

Yep, you do. First off, you'll need to make sure icecast was build with libcurl
support. How you do that will depend on your system. I guess you can assume it
was and just forge ahead. Second, you'll need to do a little editing of your
icecast.xml file. Look for these lines:

    <!-- Uncomment this if you want directory listings -->
    <!--
    <directory>
        <yp-url-timeout>15</yp-url-timeout>
        <yp-url>http://dir.xiph.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi</yp-url>
    </directory>
     -->

Remove the <!-- before <directory> and --> after </directory> and save it.
Lastly, you need to set your source client to publish. On ices and ezstream it's
usually as easy as changing a 0 to a 1 in the appropriate config file.

Hope that helps.