[Icecast] analytics

Thomas B. Ruecker dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Nov 24 09:55:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 02:40:56PM -0500, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> We (at ibiblio.org) are evaluating several projects and products for
> getting good analytics from icecast. Specifically, we have explored
> cacti and awstats. I am writing because I would like users of this
My personal experience with cacti was a rather unpleasant one.
A remote code execution vulnerability in it took my server down.

The good thing though was that it made me find Munin.
I've written a set of munin plugins for processing icecast stats.
Let me know if you want more info / latest working copy of my sources.

http://www.ruecker-itk.de/foss/icecast/munin-icecast-0.1.tar.bz2
http://www.ruecker-itk.de/foss/icecast/munin.png
http://www.ruecker-itk.de/foss/icecast/munin-bw.png

There is another munin plugin also but it relies on access to the
admin/stats.xml file (admin credentials) which makes me uncomfortable.

Custom xslt files are easier and more flexible to secure
and also need next to zero processing on the client side.
If no write access to the webroot is given they can be run on the
client side easily too. (then the same downsides with admin credentials
apply though)

Cheers

Thomas