[Icecast] Forcing an ID on all mountpoints

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Tue Nov 2 21:15:47 UTC 2010

On 02/11/10 19:35, W2LIE wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to tag my live feeds via an audio announcement every
> 30 minutes or so using the Linux install of Icecast.
>
> Some of the feeds I control locally, and other feeds are from remote
> locations - so implimenting this must be as painless as possible for each
> encoding location.

> As of now, the best way I can think of to do this is by running 2
> instances of Icecast.  Allowing the first instance to have the announcement
> as part of the "intro" tag, and kick each feed after 30 minutes, and then
> having the 2nd instance of Icecast relay all of the feeds from the first
> Icecast.  These will also be standard announcements, and not rotating
> commercials.

You could do this although you don't need 2 icecasts, you can use 2
mountpoints. mount1 would be the initial feed (relay/source), but with a
max listener duration of say 1800 seconds and a intro file, the second
mount (what listeners use) would be a relay of 127.0.0.1 mount1. The
relay would be dropped and and restarted.

Another/simpler way would be to run a source client every half an hour
that overrides the mount running the stream and play just the ID once,
the override moves the listeners and then the listeners fall back to the
stream when finished.  So mount1 would be the normal stream for
listeners, mount2 would fed by a source client when you want the ID
played, mount2 would fallback/override mount1

karl.