[Icecast] Vorbis still glitching on metadata update?

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Tue Oct 27 16:40:02 UTC 2009

On 27/10/09 09:09, Andreas Bergstrøm wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to track down a bug with intermittant glitching in our
> Vorbis streams.
>
> I am running Icecast 2.3.2 on Ubuntu 9.04.
>
> Several Vorbis clients seem to glitch on some (not all) metadata
> updates. As we update metadata 3 to 4 times a minute, this is
> something we are trying to fix, VLC gives the following output on
> metadata update:

> For testing you can compare:
>
> http://radio.hiof.no/nrk-jazz-128 (MP3 stream, no glitching)
> http://radio.hiof.no/nrk-jazz-128.ogg (Vorbis stream, glitches)

inserts for ogg are different to mp3. It is generally better to get the
source client to do that as it will be in sync with the content.

> Metadata is updated via the web admin interface from a script.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this or know a way to fix this issue?

from here, ogg123 is ok (although a 128k buffer, not sure what the
prebuffer % is, seems to be low, try increasing those).  mplayer is fine
but vlc keeps resetting itself in a major way on a new logical stream.
The format of the stream looks ok, I don't see any specific issue with
it. There is one other thing I can check but I'll have to get back to
you on that.

karl.