[Icecast] Vorbis still glitching on metadata update?

Andreas Bergstrøm andreas.bergstrom at hiof.no
Tue Oct 27 09:09:22 UTC 2009

Greetings,

I am trying to track down a bug with intermittant glitching in our
Vorbis streams.

I am running Icecast 2.3.2 on Ubuntu 9.04.

Several Vorbis clients seem to glitch on some (not all) metadata
updates. As we update metadata 3 to 4 times a minute, this is
something we are trying to fix, VLC gives the following output on
metadata update:

main warning: the mixer got a packet in the past (22371)
main warning: the mixer got a packet in the past (1038)
main warning: mixer start isn't output start (398)
ogg debug: end of a group of logical streams
ogg debug: found vorbis header
ogg debug: will reuse old stream to avoid glitch
ogg debug: beginning of a group of logical streams
main error: ES_OUT_RESET_PCR called
main warning: received buffer in the future
main debug: Buffering 0%
main debug: Buffering 0%
main debug: Buffering 19%
main debug: Buffering 40%
main debug: Buffering 63%
main debug: End of audio preroll
main debug: Buffering 84%
main debug: Stream buffering done (1274 ms in 144 ms)
main debug: Decoder buffering done in 0 ms

For testing you can compare:

http://radio.hiof.no/nrk-jazz-128 (MP3 stream, no glitching)
http://radio.hiof.no/nrk-jazz-128.ogg (Vorbis stream, glitches)

Metadata is updated via the web admin interface from a script.

Has anyone else encountered this or know a way to fix this issue?

Regards,

--
Andreas Bergstrøm
Østfold University College