[Icecast] Newbie question ... fallback mounts

SomaRadio somaradio at sbcc.edu
Tue Mar 10 23:42:17 UTC 2009

David,

You email is confusing. The problem is that we've done everything
we can do get listed on Icecast Directory but we never get
listed. help?

This is our config file (below).  The IceCast documentation only said to add the <directory> section which adds the yp url to the icecast server.  So far as I'm aware from the documentation, anything after that should come from the encoder. (http://www.icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.3.2/icecast2_yp.html)

<!-- This config file contains a minimal set of configurable parameters,
    and mostly just contains the things you need to change.  We created
    this for those who got scared away from the rather large and heavily
    commented icecast.xml.dist file. -->
<icecast>
   <limits>
    <clients>100</clients>
       <sources>6</sources>
   </limits>
   <authentication>
   </authentication>

   <hostname>localhost</hostname>
   <listen-socket>
       <port>8000</port>
   </listen-socket>
   <fileserve>1</fileserve>
   <paths>
       <logdir>./logs</logdir>
       <webroot>./web</webroot>
       <adminroot>./admin</adminroot>
       <alias source="/" dest="/status.xsl"/>
   </paths>
   <logging>
       <accesslog>access.log</accesslog>
       <errorlog>error.log</errorlog>
       <loglevel>3</loglevel> <!-- 4 Debug, 3 Info, 2 Warn, 1 Error -->
   </logging>
   <directory>
       <yp-url-timeout>15</yp-url-timeout>
       <yp-url>http://dir.xiph.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi</yp-url>
   </directory>
</icecast>

>>> David Saunders <abitar.com at gmail.com> 03/06/09 1:09 PM >>>
hey,

  Are you  stopping the main stream, disconnecting it?

 You have to make sure you use the same codex, bite rate and other
parameter on you station ID.

if you can get ezstream to change source, instead of having the server
do it for you Station ID it would be a beter solution to the stream
matching aspect of it.

But we have problems with DJ switch overs sometimes, One will drop the
stream then the other will start it. Some clients still get messed up
in the transition and have to restart the stream on there end to fix
it.  This is setting the sources up exactly the same.  Only difference
that could not be truly check was if they were using the same codex to
encode it.  Since this is common problem across all streaming servers,
and clients , and most listeners understand this and are told to
restart the client and it resolves the issue.  It helps to be in a 3d
virtual world to remind them to via a text channel. :)

David