[Icecast] icecast system requirements

kosnickx kosnickx at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 19:25:17 UTC 2009

Paul Martin wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 09:57:19AM +0200, kosnickx wrote:
>
>> Hi, i am thinking of installing Icecast to some old pc of mine. The pc
>> is a pentium mmx at 166 with memory of 32 MB.
>> Is this ok with icecast?
>>

> Are you going to use this to serve already compressed material or are you
> going to be compressing on the fly (live material)?
>
> For the first, it should be fine, but you're going to be struggling to
> compress audio in real time on that platform.

First of all thank you all for your answers.
Well i don't understand (and i believe this is because i probably don't
know exactly how icecast works) what you mean if i will be serving
"already compressed" or "on the fly" material. Does icecast compress the
material as well? So far what i did was : use some application (idjc
usually) to send my mp3s to icecast and it was up to icecast to serve
those mp3s to  "listeners". And i did this both when i was streaming
"live" and when i made a playlist.
The concept i am thinking is :
- use some application to stream music (as well as voice - live like an
old school radio) to  this specific icecast server
- use this specific icecast server as a relay one to another icecast
server which has the ability to server more listeners

local application streaming to ->
                relay icecast server (the 133 mmx with 32 mb of ram) ->
                             (big) icecast server (ability to serve
enough listeners)