[Icecast] using flash to connect to ICECAST 2.3.2

David Saunders abitar.com at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 21:08:27 UTC 2009

Flash will work with the icecast server.  you just have to but the
crossdomain.xml in the icecast webroot and it works like a champ. I
only found out this after long work at trying to figure why i could
not playback the stream on the servers.  I did not try to let the
icecast to serve up the flash file, don't want to over load the
icecast server itself.  And since im using the XSPF information to
provide the connection information it works out quite well.

I have tested on several open source and comically available flash
players.   Since we encode in widows we use edcast from oddsock to
encode under lame MP3, which is advailble on linux also. But . Also
have some people use SAM and plugins for couple players streaming thru
the server with no issues.  I not looked into flash playing ogg files
yet tho.

I would sugest you get something like firebug to see what the player
is doing on connections. It would look to me like it was streaming a
silent stream tell i found it was not finding the crossdomain file and
silently failing.
David