[Icecast] Icecast + theora stream + Firefox 3.1a2 = promising
Thomas B. Ruecker
dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Sep 14 03:21:03 PDT 2008
just wanted to let you in on my research into use of theora streams in
The current alpha 2 of Firefox 3.1 supports <video> tags  and ogg
encapsulated theora + vorbis .
Static files delivered by a webserver work just fine if they come in
But of course my interest is not in static files but in streams. So I
hacked together a small html-test file that references some random
stream from our yp. It took some experimenting, but eventually it works.
If you want to test this for your stream just steal my html source. ;-)
Of course there are still some issues left. Stream playback will stutter
and stop a lot - this is due to a suboptimal caching strategy . But
Chris says it will be addressed within an refactoring.
Also it will fail on chained ogg streams. This is an limitation of
the used liboggplay library. Let's hope this library gets updated
soon, because it seems like right now there is no one maintaining it.
Also the stream will only play if the controls attribute is set.
If you discover another issue either let me know (by email or on irc
#icecast) or directly open an bug in the mozilla bugzilla for "core"
But so far I think this looks very promising. Playback of audio and
video streams without any plug-ins!
1) Developer info on Firefox 3.1 -
2) One of my basic test files -
3) Xiph's icecast streams YP - http://dir.xiph.org
4) Bug 455174 - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=455174
5) Bug 449159 - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=449159
6) Bug 455165 - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=455165
7) liboggplay website - http://annodex.net/software/liboggplay/index.html
8) Seeking a maintainer for liboggplay -
9) Bug 455167 - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=455167
More information about the Icecast