[Icecast] Running ices on startup

Thomas B. Ruecker dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Sep 8 19:39:37 UTC 2008

andre_grundmann at gmx.de schrieb:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I'm running icecast and ices2 on OpenSuse 10.2 (could upgrade to 11.0 in a breeze though).
> What I'm trying to achieve right now is to use this for a kind of "baby-phone" functionality.
> That means:
> 1. There is a microphone attached to the server which records sound in the room
> 2. I'm in another room, listening to the server on Winamp, so I can hear what goes on in the room with the server
>
> This works more or less fine, with one catch: icecast starts when I start the server, but ices doesn't. I have to start ices manually. This is unpleasant at least, so I would like to start ices on server startup. I already tried entering icecast into the runlevel manager and wrote a script to start it. What happens, is this:
> Ices starts, if I run the script manually through the runlevel manager (runlevel manager reports success, and I hear sound), but after a bootup, no sound, although the runlevel manager still tells me ices is running. I can then still start ices manually, either using the script or running "ices /etc/ices.xml".

Did you check if ices is actually running?
What does the ices log say?
If not enough set it to debug level logging.
Does it start _after_ icecast? check in the rc.5 directory if everything
else fails to tell you that.

For the init related part I recommend reading the suse documentation. If
in doubt which part of it ask the opensuse people for hints.

Cheers

Thomas