[Icecast] hardware / bandwidth requirements

Thomas B. Ruecker dm8tbr at afthd.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Oct 6 13:59:45 UTC 2008

Hi zea,

Gabriel Zea schrieb:
> Hi there!!
>
> Any body can drop me some information about the hardware and bandwidth
> requirements  to setup an icecast server to stream real time video
> using OGG/Theora?
For icecast itself the hardware requirements are very low. Especially if
you are streaming video there won't be so many listeners as would be if
you'd stream audio only.
> I'll  setup an production server, and need to
> calculate an estimate number of  maximum clients connections to the
> server.

$upstream_bandwith / ( $stream_bitrate + $TCP-overhead ) = absolute maximum

The real maximum will be a tad lower.

Cheers

Thomas

PS: If you want to use the server also to real-time encode the stream by
running an source client on it this will require a lot more horsepower.
But that's not icecast scope.