[Icecast] hardware / bandwidth requirements

David Saunders abitar.com at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 18:21:51 UTC 2008

My rule of thumbs is look at the bitrate,  Multiply it by the number
of users and ad 10% as a rule. Then you migth have to tweek it around
alittle. For example we tdo lot of of mono audio brodcasts. at 24k,
and have found out using decated servers we can eastly handle 80 to 90
listeners on a 1M bandwith connection(a cable modem).

I found is the slow listeners start to climb up your reaching the max
you setup can handle. Or there is somehting wrong with the internet
connection.

But this is one kind of bandwidth, The other kind of bandwidth is base
on a month scale,   Then you need to use there caulating tools to
figure out what bandwidth you will use. I have found deferent companys
calculate it deferently. And there is not real rule to go by other
then check htere tools.

WE have managed to squeeze 4 256k videops on out 1M lines but it was a
tight squeeze on a good day, we usely out source to couple of places
that have beter coonectiosn to the internet.

When they finialy install FIOS here we will be elimating lot of our
oursourcing with luck. :)